We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), adolescence is the period in a person's life that includes / understands between 10 and 19 years old. In some cases adolescence is interrupted when the young woman becomes pregnant. And it is that, one of every five women in the world already has a child before the age of 18 and each year there are 16 million births of adolescent mothers. In the poorest regions of the planet one in three women are mothers in adolescence.
According to experts, the most appropriate age to be a mother is between 20 and 35 years old, since the risk to the health of the mother and the child is much lower. Teenage pregnancy is considered high risk and carries more complications. The adolescent is not physically or mentally ready to have a baby and assume responsibility for motherhood.
Adolescents who become pregnant often present:
- Paintings of bad nutrition, with a lack of essential nutrients for the proper development of the baby
- A greater number of miscarriages
- Premature births, there are a large number of adolescent babies born before 37 weeks of gestation
- Their babies have a low weight since the immaturity of your body means that your uterus has not fully developed
- Teenage mothers have children with more health problems and Developmental disorders
- In the cases of pregnancies of girls under 15 years of age, the baby is more likely to be born with malformations
In general, studies speak of a number of circumstances that teenage moms go through:
- Fear of being socially rejected: One of the consequences of adolescence and pregnancy is that the young woman feels criticized by her environment and tends to isolate herself from the group.
- I reject the baby: They are girls and do not want to take on the responsibility, time and obligations of being a mother. However, this also makes them feel guilty, sad and their self-esteem is lowered.
- Family problems: communicating pregnancy in the family is often a source of conflict and even rejection by their own environment.
- Children of adolescent mothers and fathers tend to suffer a higher rate of school failure, social insertion or learning problems.
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends to prevent adolescent pregnancy: limit marriage before age 18, increase the use of contraceptives for adolescents, reduce coerced relationships and support pregnancy prevention programs in adolescence.
In any case, the best prevention is for young people to have a good sexual education from within the family. It is important to inform about risks and complications of adolescent pregnancy and all the changes that will take place from the moment the adolescent becomes pregnant.
Communication in the family is essential, therefore, there must be an open and transparent dialogue so that young people have all the information at their fingertips.
You can read more articles similar to Teen pregnancy: risks and consequences, in the category of Teen on site.